Should you possess a slow oven, you realize it’s most likely probably the most convenient and versatile device ever produced. (And it is a great way to create great-tasting meals without having to be in the kitchen area for hrs!) Tonight, enjoy our slow-cooked chicken and lentil chili, a nourishing dish that’s hearty, healthy and filled with budget-friendly veggies.
Slow Oven Chicken and Lentil Chili
- 1 medium (110 grams) onion, chopped
- 2 cups (255 grams) chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound (455 grams) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, reduce bite-size pieces
- 1 cup (190 grams) dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup (150 grams) dried black beans, rinsed
- 4 cups (495 grams) no-salt-added, fat-free chicken broth (certified gluten-free if required)
- 1 (8-ounce or 245 grams) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup (2 ounce or 60 grams) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
Coat slow oven with cooking spray. Place onion, carrots and garlic clove in bottom. Top with chicken, lentils and black beans. Stir in broth, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin and salt.
Prepare on low for 8 hrs. Stir before serving. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 tablespoon cheese. Garnish evenly with cilantro.
Serves: 8 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups (13 ounces or 370 grams)
Per serving: Calories: 282 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fats: 3g Monounsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 448mg Carb: 39g Soluble Fiber: 18g Sugar: 6g Protein: 28g
Diet Bonus: Potassium: 837mg Iron: 26% Vit A: 130% Ascorbic Acid: 9% Calcium: 14%